Lecture 1 | Quantum Entanglements, Part 1 (Stanford)

Lecture 1 of Leonard Susskind’s course concentrating on Quantum Entanglements (Part 1, Fall 2006). Recorded September 25, 2006 at Stanford University.

This Stanford Continuing Studies course is the first of a three-quarter sequence of classes exploring the “quantum entanglements” in modern theoretical physics. Leonard Susskind is the Felix Bloch Professor of Physics at Stanford University.

Complete playlist for the course:

Stanford Continuing Studies: http://continuingstudies.stanford.edu/

About Leonard Susskind: http://www.stanford.edu/dept/physics/people/faculty/sussk…

Stanford University channel on YouTube:

33 thoughts on “Lecture 1 | Quantum Entanglements, Part 1 (Stanford)

1. Alex Skott

you had a response on pbs spacetime about energy loss during light and the universe expansion. it is a transfer of energy from one system to another.my question is if a photon does not experience time in flight how would it be effected in zero time.

2. Trace Gustafson

I owe professor Susskind for helping me pull myself up from the rock bottom of my physical chemistry class and eventually pass it. Ever since then, I've been trying to watch all of the lectures. His method of teaching is perfect for my way of thinking

3. Ali Nasab

Not really up to the "Stanford" expectation. E.g. what he says at and around 53:00 ("Newtonian to me simply means…") is not true and contradicts what he said a little earlier about the "unitarity" of quantum mechanics.

4. yegorstv

honestly, this lecture sucks. just shows the inadequacy of traditional education in the 21st century. countless other youtube videos are much better at explaining this. i watched first 10 min, ok, you are trying to say quantum mechanics are unintuitive. i got it within first 10 seconds, no need to chew on it for another 20 min.

5. Citriano Torres

3:00 "Nobody in 1900 had never moved faster than 50 or 60 miles an hour"The average linear speed of Earth with respect to the Sun is above 60.000 miles per hour. This is 1000 times faster than the claim by the professor.

6. Laureano Luna

As regards his philosophical preface, I think the fact that we evolved in a medium where relativistic and quantum effects didn't show up is only one half of the story. The other half is that physics is not about the objective world, not about things in themselves, but about how such things appear to us, i.e. about phenomena. For one can admit that reality may contradict certain intuitions of ours about space and time, but about logic? No, logic is absolutely universal and objectively valid; it is needed to lay out QM itself. If QM seems at odds with logic, this can only be because it is about appearances, not about objective reality. In fact, that's what Bohr, Heisenberg, Schrödinger, etc. granted once and again.

7. mike42md

Since I'm disabled, one can determine that I am a poor US citizen. Due to whatever has "disabled" me physically I am left with only the ability to think, learn, and hopfully teach myself how to fix myself. I am thankful now for the small benefit from the forced paycheck garnishments which "funds" our U.S. Social Security Insurance Agency/Department/Company. Thank you "Leonardo" and all others in the university systems willing to record and share the lectures "on the line"! I was once able to earn a 6 digit income and now all I get is enough for my wife and I to live at my dads place, it's all I have access to at the moment. I couldn't even give my daughter a respectable wedding where she would have been proud to invite our very large family of relatives. To keep receiving an income from SSDI benefits I am not allowed to save any more than a couple thousand towards the goal of buying a home for us to live in and my wife to survive with after I die. She deserves more than I can ever give to her now, she is the angel that takes care of me so I can be here to teach my daughter and her new premature baby one day. If I was able to goto school/college to better the only ability I have left to make better, I wouldn't be able to pay for it with the small SSDI income that took 2 years to have the claim processed. This type of education is my only education opportunity I have now thanks to people like you "Leonardo" and thanks to my best friend still being a best friend and sharing his home and internet access with me once a month! For those of you who are in college enjoy your health and protect it with all you can. The environment in which we are living is going to cause alot more problems for alot more people over the next few years. Living in the country has proven to me that some of the pain I endured in the past increased intensity after the 1st smart phones were publicly available. Evidently I have the ability or curse of feeling pain from the excessive amount of rf? "cooking"me in the city!

8. Michelle Windsor

Best Stanford lecturer I've seen yet by far. So natural and down to earth and he uses words, analogies and metaphors that are accessible to everyone. Not trying to sound like an egghead. I'm finally able to wrap my head around most of these concepts for the first time. Thank you!!!