Princeton University

Tigers Battle Back to Tie Colgate, 2-2 –

Down 2-0 after the first period, the Princeton men’s hockey team battled back to earn a 2-2 tie against Colgate on Saturday, Jan. 14 at Hobey Baker Rink.

Freshman Jackson Cressey scored on the power-play while junior Ryan Berlin tallied his first goal of the season.

It was a battle between the nation’s all-time career saves leaders in Colton Phinney and Charlie Finn in net. Phinney who became Princeton’s all-time leader in saves last night stopped 37 shots tonight, while Finn had 35 saves.

Colgate (4-12-5, 2-5-2 ECAC) converted on its first power-play opportunity of the game at 5:49 when John Snodgrass net his first goal of the season. He was posted up to the right pipe and screened Phinney as Bobby McMann and Brett Corkey played catch along the right boards. Corkey slipped the puck across the blue line to Jared Cockerell who flicked the puck towards the goal where it was redirected on the doorstep by Snodgrass.
Willie Brooks made it 2-0 at 13:16. He took the original shot that went off the pad of Phinney and out to the wing and down into the Colgate defensive zone where it was collected by Jake Kulevich. Kulevich pitched it back up the left wing to Brooks who released a no-look shot up under the crossbar.
Freshman Jackson Cressey put the Tigers on the board with a 5×3 goal at 7:29 of the second, the lone goal of the middle frame. After what looked like a hard shot and goal by Josh Teves, the puck caromed down the other end and recollected by Princeton (7-11-2, 3-9-2 ECAC). Derek Topatigh gave the puck to Ryan Kuffner who along the extended red and he passed to Jeremy Germain at the rim of the face-off circe. Germain elected to feed Cressey on the back door and it paid off as Cressey popped in his fifth of the season.  
The game-tying goal came from junior Ryan Berlin, who scored in his second game of the season. Senior Ryan Siiro broke up a Colgate breakout and got the puck to senior Tommy Davis. Davis skated the puck towards the net and sent a backhanded pass into the slot where Berlin fired it for the goal.
Princeton used a power play with four minutes remaining to grab some offensive momentum and kept Colgate on its toes, forcing the team to call a timeout with 51 seconds left. Corkey was called for a penalty just as regulation expired giving the Tigers another man-advantage to start the overtime.
Princeton however was not able to find the back of the net in the next two minutes, or the three that followed as the game ended in a 2-2 draw.

Both teams were 1 for 4 on the power play.

Princeton will take a break for semester exams and will return to action on Saturday, Jan. 28 when the Tigers take on Penn State at the Wells Fargo Center.

Follow us