STANFORD, Calif – Stanford wrapped up a busy weekend by splitting matches against Boise State and Washington on Saturday at the Stanford Beach Volleyball Stadium.
“As a team, we are thankful for the opportunities to grow, regardless of the dual’s outcome, and continue to make strong habits of how we play, support one another and prepare,” said first-year head coach Andrew Fuller. “I hope that Oregon, Cal, Washington and Boise State enjoyed what we think is a pretty fun venue to play at, and we are excited to continue Pac-12 play next week ahead of the conference championships.”
Against Boise State, the Cardinal (12-5 overall, 3-1 Pac-12) took the early lead courtesy of No. 5 pair Courtney Bowen and Kat Anderson, who won by a score of 21-12, 21-19. No. 4 pair Shannon Richardson and Catherine Raquel doubled Stanford’s lead with a 21-8, 21-12 win shortly thereafter.
The Broncos (5-4) got back into the dual with a 21-17, 17-21, 15-12 win over Stanford’s No. 3 pair of Morgan Hentz and Caitlin Keefe, but two Cardinal wins at the top of the lineup sealed a 4-1 win. No. 1 pair Kathryn Plummer and Jenna Gray clinched the dual with a 21-18, 21-11 win, followed by a 21-13, 14-21, 16-14 win at No. 2 by Ivana Vanjak and Payton Chang.
Stanford finished the day by losing a 3-2 decision against Washington (5-5). The Cardinal’s No. 5 pair of Bowen and Anderson won the opening point, 21-17, 19-21, 15-9, but Washington leveled the score by defeating No. 4 pair Raquel and Richardson.
The Huskies won the next two matches to clinch the dual, with No. 3 pair Hentz and Keefe dropping a 21-19, 16-21, 15-8 decision, and No. 1 pair Plummer and Gray losing by a score of 21-18, 21-11. No. 2 pair Chang and Vanjak fought off a one-set deficit to win their match, 20-22, 26-24, 15-8, to make the final score 3-2.
“We hope that our fans were able to enjoy Cardinalpalooza and what was a really strong group of teams who played at our stadium this weekend,” added Fuller.
The Cardinal returns to action on Tuesday when it hosts No. 1 USC at 3:30 p.m. PT at the Stanford Beach Volleyball Stadium. The game will broadcast live on Pac-12 Networks, and live results will be available at GoStanford.com.
Stanford 4, Boise State 1
1. Plummer/Gray (Stan) def. O’Donnell/Osburn (BSU) 21-18, 21-11
2. Vanjak/Chang (Stan) def. Sullivan/Walley (BSU) 21-13, 14-21, 16-14
3. Nobley/Roberts (BSU) def. Hentz/Keefe (Stan) 21-17, 17-21, 15-12
4. Raquel/Richardson (Stan) def. Bulda/Hayes (BSU) 21-8, 21-12
5. Bowen/Anderson (Stan) def. Allen/Simon (BSU) 21-12, 21-19
Exh. Red-Horse Mohl/DiSanto def. Southwick/Hanses (BSU) 23-25, 21-17, 15-8
Washington 3, Stanford 2
1. Jones/Scambray (Wash.) def. Plummer/Gray (Stan) 21-17, 21-12
2. Vanjak/Chang (Stan) def. Schwan/Julye (Wash.) 20-22, 26-24, 15-8
3. DeHoog/Strickland (Wash.) def. Hentz/Keefe (Stan) 21-19, 16-21, 15-8
4. Wade/McPherson (Wash.) def. Raquel/Richardson (Stan) 19-21, 21-17 16-14
5. Bowen/Anderson (Stan) def. Chalmers/Crabtree (Wash.) 21-17, 19-21, 15-9